Homesteaded by our ancestors in the 1860's when Walla Walla was still part of the Territory of Washington, Cottonwood Canyon Farm has been owned by our family ever since.
Earning money by dragging his wheat threshing equipment up and down the West Coast during harvest season, Wallace Copeland eventually saved enough to build the Farmhouse for his bride, Augusta, in the 1890's, forming the basic footprint of the house that still exists today. Water was drawn from a well that was located just outside the kitchen's western window, using a bucket that was attached to a pulley from an extended roof eave.
The Cookhouse was originally built in the 1940's for the cook to live in and prepare 30 meals a day for the farm crew. The crew lived and showered inside the corrugated steel buildings located just to the west of the Cookhouse.
The tall Norway Maple and Green Ash trees that line the lane to the farm shop were planted as seedlings purchased for eight cents apiece from Washington State University in 1955. The bridge that extends across Cottonwood Creek was built upon the frames of two flatbed freight cars purchased as surplus from the Northern Pacific Railroad in the early 1960's.
From portable wheat threshing equipment to the Tesla wall charger that lives in the garage today, Cottonwood Canyon Farm is richly steeped in the pioneering spirit of the West.